Garmin DriveAssist 50 NA LMT Review
Garmin o makes some of the best satnavs for drivers and the Garmin DriveAssist 50 NS LMT is one you can really recommend to your family and friends. The great thing about this navigator is that it’s packed with some great features to make your trip an enjoyable one while traveling. Therefore, what makes the GPS system highly recommended, let us find out with this detailed review.
What is the Garmin DriveAssist 50 NA LMT all about?
There are many different models available in the Drive collection. However, the difference between the Garmin DriveAssist 50 NA LMT compared to the basic Drive and DriveSmart is that it has Bluetooth Smartphone connectivity, voice commands, traffic updates, and a built-in Dashcam.
The great thing is that you can rotate the Dashcam to angle the satnav screen towards you and needs calibration. The screen has a 5-inch display and the unit measure 5.5 x 0.8 x 3.3-inches and weighs 4-ounces. The Dashcam captures Full High Definition videos with a resolution of 1,920 x 1080 or 1,280 x 720 pixels. It records at 30 frames per second.
If you want to add map data, it has a micro SD slot and many people have found that they rarely use it but are a great feature as the Dashcam requires removable storage. It comes with two slots, one dedicated to the Dashcam, and one for maps. Included you receive a 4GB micro SD card and as you record the older files are replaced with the newer ones. It also comes with automatic collision detection.
The units loaded with the latest Dashcam widgets and real vision system to change the camera view with a directional arrow. Some of the widgets available are forward collision warning, lane departure warnings, go alert, automatic incident detection, and data overlay.
Videos embedded with the time and location if you ever happen to be in an accident. Some other great features are driver awareness that warns you when you’re close to safety cameras, schools, and gives you fatigue warning alerts. It also has an exceptional voice command system.
Connect the device to your Smartphone via the Bluetooth and with the available Smartphone link, you can use it for hands-free calling or set it up to receive locations from the phone. This provides you with the option to install other services delivered via the mobile device to the unit such as weather updates, live traffic, and more.
The unit’s compatible with the Garmin babyCam that you need to buy separately.
Ease of Use
The Garmin DriveAssist mount comes with a quick-release made from a plastic plate with a gap found in the middle for the camera. It connects via a mini USB cable that you can disconnect when removed from the car. You receive a power plug that you connect to the lighter port and you cannot use a different one as it has the DAB traffic update system.
The systems easy to use and similar to other models found in the range and you search by destination keyword. It comes pre-loaded with maps that have a lifetime update, keeping you updated on changes. It has a three-dimensional view that shows you current speed, arrival times, current street names and where you’re navigating to. The screen’s responsive to the touch and easy to read.
The digital traffic has a lifetime update supplied through the DAB radio receiver in the power cable. Some of the other important features provided through the system are Garmin Real Directions and Foursquare.
Benefits and Features
- The Garmin DriveAssist 50 NA LMT is easy-to-use and has a dedicated GPS system with a dual-orientation display,
- The units preloaded with maps of the US and Canada depending on the model you buy,
- It has drive alert to make you more aware while driving – and alerts you on school zones, speed changes, sharp curves, fatigue and more,
- It has Garmin Real Direction guidance to important landmarks, traffic lights, and friends,
- With Foursquare you’re able to find new places like shops, restaurants, and POIs,
- The DriveAssist has a 5-inch color display touchscreen with 480 x 272-pixel resolution,
- It has a built-in High Definition Dashcam,
- All maps and traffic updates come with a lifetime update,
- It has digital traffic warnings supplied through the DAB radio link found in the power cable,
- It has a voice command system and connects via Bluetooth to your Smartphone to use as a hands-free device,
- With the Smartphone link, you can keep yourself updated with information or download additional services,
- It has two micro SD card slots and includes a 4GB micro SD card,
- You receive included a power cable to connect to the lighter port in the car, a USB cable to charge the battery, and mounting hardware,
- The Garmin DriveAssist measures 5.5 x 0.8 x 3.3-inches and weighs 4-ounces,
- The units loaded with the latest Dashcam widgets and a real vision system to change the camera view with a directional arrow. Some of the widgets available are forward collision warning, lane departure warnings, go alert, automatic incident detection, and data overlay,
- The Dashcam captures Full High Definition videos with a resolution of 1,920 x 1080 or 1,280 x 720 pixels, and
- Includes a one-year limited warranty
Customers have provided some great Garmin DriveAssist reviews online and very pleased with the product. They are pleased with the included Dashcam that records everything while driving. This is a great feature to have, as you do not need to buy an additional backup camera to place in the car. There are very few negative remarks related to the device is that when you view playbacks of the recordings there is a pixel breakup but not a major concern.
Pros and Cons Using the Garmin DriveAssist 50 NA LMT
- Has lifetime US maps and traffic alert updates,
- It’s loaded with some great driving assistant features,
- The included Dashcam is great for the price,
- The collision avoiding, lane drifting, upcoming speed limits, wrong direction, and school zone alert help a lot when you’re driving,
- The fact that it connects to your Smartphone to use for hands-free calls are a great feature
- The interface is sometimes a bit overcrowded,
- Traffic alerts are not that comprehensive.
Should You Buy It
The Garmin DriveAssist 50 NS LMT with built-in Dashcam sold at an affordable price considering the prices you pay extra for only buying the Dashcam. It has excellent satnav abilities and is a great help while driving with all the warning alerts. The fact that you can record your travels is great if you are in an accident as it serves as evidence when needed. With the lifetime updates for the maps and traffic, it helps you to save loads of money on subscriptions that you need to pay extra when using other brands.